HOW TO TELL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MOODY AND DEPRESSION IN TEENAGERS?
Teenagers are known to have occasional bouts of being irritable, unhappy and moody. It comes with puberty, hormones and pressures at home and school. Because of this, parents can find it difficult to tell the difference between typical teenage ups and downs and depression.
In many cases, teens struggling with depression will have a noticeable change in their behaviour and thinking. They may sleep excessively, their eating habits may change, they may have no motivation or even become withdrawn.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF DEPRESSION IN TEENS?
The causes of depression vary. Big life transitions can affect teens’ thoughts and moods. Stress, rapidly changing hormones and lack of sleep just compound the problem.
Parents may notice changes in a teen’s sleep, appetite or concentration. Self-esteem and self- confidence may take a nose dive. In severe cases, teens may think about suicide.
Eating disorders, anxiety and substance abuse can co-exist with depression. In extreme cases, teens can suffer a break with reality, involving hallucinations and delusions or physical slowness.
Even hopelessly depressed teens get better once they:
- Begin to understand and manage their moods and feelings
- Learn to replace negative with positive thinking
- Discover how to use mindfulness techniques
- If antidepressants are needed, a few types have proven both safe and effective for teens.
HOW TO HELP DEPRESSED TEENS?
Parents can take these steps to help a depressed teen:
- Encourage patience. Remind teens to be good to themselves and patient with treatment, which can take time.
- Applaud good habits. Daily exercise (even walking), going to bed on time, enjoying sunshine and nature, and making healthy food choices help to counter depression.
- Encourage openness. Give teens the space to express their feelings honestly, without judgment.
- Get family support.
- Encourage activities. Make it easy for your teen to socialize and do activities with friends.
- Address friendships. Remind teens that trustworthy friends will always be there for them and untrustworthy friends don’t have to be part of their lives.
- Model healthy behaviours and self-care for your teen.
Positive parenting skills go a long way in helping teens recover from depression. Although they may not agree or it may seem unlikely, most teenagers look unto their parents for positive behaviour and life skills.
KIMS, one of the best depression treatment hospitals in Hyderabad, has long been at the forefront of providing expert, compassionate care to adolescents with mental health issues. With best neurologists in the team, our approach to mental health care has been been tested and proven effective.
Our team is always aware that your teen and your family are essential members of the treatment team, and our best doctor for depression treatment in Hyderabad, India, will include you in the process at every step of the way.