What is Leukapheresis?
A method called leukapheresis is used by medical professionals to separate white blood cells from your blood. To accomplish this, they draw blood from your bloodstream and process it to separate the white blood cells from the red blood cells, plasma, and platelets. Your blood is then returned to your bloodstream. The leukapheresis procedure cost in Hyderabad depends upon various factors. You must contact the doctor to know about the leukapheresis procedure cost in Hyderabad.
But before knowing about the leukapheresis procedure cost in Hyderabad, you must contact the doctor. White blood cell (WBC) counts that are abnormally high due to conditions like leukaemia can be decreased via leukapheresis. Additionally, it can be used to collect white blood cells that can then be given back to a patient whose WBC has decreased as a result of chemotherapy.
Possible consequences of leukapheresis
Leukapheresis has hazards, just like any medical procedure. The majority of them are fairly modest. Although leukapheresis is usually thought to be safe, it is not advised unless absolutely necessary for medical reasons.
- Hypocalcemia- is an unnatural decrease in blood calcium levels. Calcium has a role in controlling heartbeats, muscular contractions, and neuron activity. Muscle spasms, numbness, an irregular heartbeat, and tingling in the hands and feet are among symptoms.
- Anemia- is the abnormal decrease in red blood cells, which are responsible for carrying oxygen throughout the body. Fatigue, pale skin, an irregular heartbeat, dizziness, and shortness of breath are symptoms.
- Thrombocytopenia- is a deficiency of platelets, which aid in blood clotting. The signs include nosebleeds, easy bleeding, easy bruising, and blood in the stool or urine.
- Local or systemic infections -are most common in immunocompromised individuals, such as those with severe HIV infection. To cure or prevent infections, preventive antibiotics (or other antimicrobials) may be required.
What is the price of leukapheresis?
Usually, leukapheresis is carried out at a hospital or other specialist facility with apheresis equipment. They are provided as part of the in-office services at some comprehensive cancer centres. Depending on where you reside, apheresis might cost between ₹1,45,000 and 2,98,000.
What is immunotherapy?
The immunotherapy in Hyderabad varies from place to place. So before getting the treatment you must be aware of the immunotherapy in Hyderabad. As the treatment may affect the immunotherapy in Hyderabad. A type of cancer treatment known as immunotherapy takes use of the patient's own immune system.. Immunotherapy can alter or enhance the immune system's functioning to enable it to locate and destroy cancer cells. Cancer immunotherapy, commonly referred to as immuno-oncology, is a type of cancer treatment that makes advantage of the immune system's capacity to stop, manage, and eradicate cancer.
Cancer immunotherapy types
- Monoclonal antibodies (MABs): The immune system can be affected by some MABs. Consequently, they function as both an immunotherapy and a specific sort of cancer treatment.
- Checkpoint Inhibitors : A kind of immunotherapy known as checkpoint inhibitors blocks certain checkpoint proteins. Ipilimumab and pembrolizumab (Keytruda) are two examples (Yervoy).
- Cytokines: The body contains a collection of proteins called cytokines. They support strengthening the immune system. Cancer is treated with proteins that have been artificially created.
- Vaccinations against cancer: Cancer therapy vaccines are for those who already have cancer, as opposed to immunizations that prevent disease. Most of these vaccinations are currently being tested in clinical studies.
- CAR T cell treatment: CAR T-cell treatment is sometimes referred to as an instance of adoptive cell transfer. Certain kids with leukaemia and some adults with lymphoma may be treated with it.
- When is leukapheresis necessary?
Leukapheresis is typically started in patients with acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) or in the accelerated stages of chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML) when the blast count exceeds 100,000/mm3 or when rapidly rising blast counts are higher than 50,000/mm3, particularly when there is evidence of central nervous system or pulmonary.
- Is leukapheresis painful?
Although leukapheresis is not unpleasant, occasionally calcium levels can fall while it is being done. This may result in tingling and numbness, particularly in the hands, feet, and mouth area, as well as very occasionally, muscle spasms. With calcium, this is easily treatable. To rapidly reduce the amount of leukaemia cells, leukapheresis is used.