Epilepsy is a neurological disorder due to sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, convulsions, or loss of consciousness. It is linked with the malfunctioning of the electrical activities in the brain. The seizure surgery price in Hyderabad may depend on the kind of treatment. If it is surgical, then also the type of surgery will affect the charges for the same. The hemispherectomy surgery cost and temporal lobectomy epilepsy treatment cost in Hyderabad or any other part of India also varies due to the different procedures.
Symptoms of Epilepsy
The symptoms vary from one patient to another. In most cases, a person with epilepsy will experience a seizure. Other symptoms include:
- Loss of awareness or consciousness
- Staring Spell
- Uncontrollable jerking movements of the limbs
- Muscles spasm
Causes of Epilepsy
The seizures produce muscle spasms and involuntary twitches and can last up to several minutes. Sometimes, people lose their sane self after a strong seizure with no memory of what happened earlier.
One can experience a seizure for a variety of causes. Some of them include:
- Hugh Fever
- Low blood sugar
- Brain Tumour
- Birth defects in the brain
- Any severe head trauma
Treatment of Epilepsy
The seizures are generally treated with Anti-epileptic drugs(AEDs). This drug helps 7 out of 10 people to control seizures by changing the chemical levels of the brain. The Epilepsy surgery is divided into various categories to eliminate seizures. It involves removing a portion of the brain which causes seizures. Epilepsy surgery is carried out when the patient does not respond to the medication.
The kind of surgery required depends either on the location of the neurons that cause the seizure or on the age of the patient. Some of the surgeries for epilepsy include:
- Focal resection- This includes the removal of the area in the brain which causes seizures. It is reserved for people whose seizures are due to fault in the non-critical region of the brain. It is divided into two categories:
- Temporal Lobe Resection: A part of the temporal lobe of the brain is removed
- Frontal Lobe Resection: A part of the frontal lobe is removed.
- Hemispherectomy: It involves removing one side of the brain’s cerebral cortex(folded grey matter)This surgery is limited to children who suffer seizures due to fault in the hemisphere. This influences the price of hemispherectomy surgery in Hyderabad.
- Laser Interstitial thermal therapy: A laser is used to identify and destroy a small piece of brain tissue. Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is used to direct the laser.
- Corpus Callosotomy: Removes all or part of the portion of the brain that connects the right and left sides of the brain nerves, called the corpus callosum.
The success rate of temporal lobectomy is higher than that of frontal lobectomy. The cost of temporal lobectomy for epilepsy treatment in Hyderabad and frontal lobectomy is close.
Status epilepticus is a state where the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes or the person experiences more than 1 seizure in 5 minutes without returning to consciousness between such episodes. This can lead to permanent brain damage or death.
It can happen to people who are diagnosed with epilepsy or people who have a stroke, head injury, overdose of drugs and alcohol abuse.
Status Epilepticus treatment price in Hyderabad depends on the type of treatment. The cost for treatment of Status Epilepticus in hospitals of Hyderabad will be increased if doctors have to operate on the brain. Benzodiazepine and Intravenous lorazepam are a few choices of drugs for this condition, doses of which can lower the expenses for the treatment of Status Epilepticus in Hyderabad.
Epilepsy Surgery Cost in Hyderabad
The approximate surgery cost of epilepsy in Hyderabad can start from INR 90,000. However, in government hospitals, the cost of seizure surgery and epilepsy surgery treatment in Hyderabad may be lower. The cost for treatment of epilepsy may touch lakhs, varying the type of surgery undergone. For instance, the price for hemispherectomy surgery in Hyderabad differs from the cost of temporal lobectomy for epilepsy treatment in Hyderabad.
Moreover, if the Status epilepticus is due to epilepsy, then the treatment expenses for seizure surgery in Hyderabad can also flare to lakhs.
- Can epilepsy be permanently cured?
Despite several medications, medical devices, and surgical treatments there is no permanent cure for epilepsy.
- What are the risks of epilepsy surgery?
Partial blindness, depression or other emotional problems, and memory problems are the potential side effects of the surgery.
- Can epilepsy shorten your life?
A study shows that people with epilepsy have a shorter lifespan than others who don’t have epilepsy. But with proper treatment, an individual may live a full life.