Chronic inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy or CIDP is an autoimmune disorder. It develops slowly and starts attacking the protective coating of nerves. CIDP is the chronic form of Guillain Barre Syndrome or AIDP. This is why the cost of CIDP treatment or chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy cost for treatment in Hyderabad is more expensive than the cost of the treatment for AIDP, i.e. the fee for the treatment of Guillain Barre Syndrome in Hyderabad.
What is CIDP
CIDP is an autoimmune disorder, where the body attacks its tissues, and myelin sheaths. Myelin Sheaths, made from protein and fats, are the insulating layer around the nerve, There are two types of demyelinating polyneuropathy- acute and chronic.
CIDP is classified into
- Progressive: The disease gets worse over time.
- Monophasic: The disease lasts from 1 to 3 years and does not come again.
- Recurrent: Symptoms come and go.
Signs and Symptoms of CIDP
Mainly, the symptoms of CIDP aggravate with time. These symptoms may appear on both sides of the body, such as both legs or both arms. On some occasions, people only experience differences in sensory function which include tingling and numbness.
Some of the possible signs of CIDP:
- Loss of reflexes
- Extreme Soreness or Tingling
- Unexplainable Exhaustion
- Foot Dropping
- Double or Blurry Vision
Causes of CIDP
The specific reason for CIDP is uncertain, but studies show that it is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmune diseases arise when the body’s natural defences start attacking healthy tissue.
As per current studies on CIDP, it is believed that the body's immune system starts attacking myelin. Because the body's immune system mistakes myelin tissue as an imposter and starts depleting it. Myelin is like an insulating coating over the electrical wires which are nerves. Since myelin is the protective layer of nerves, the nervous system relies on its protection.
The nerves receive signals from the brain via the spinal cord and transfer them to other parts of the body. Due to damage to myelin, the electrical impulses slow down or disappear. This causes the disruption in the transmission of messages from the brain to the other intended location.
But there are specific triggers which can cause CIDP. It can also occur with conditions like:
- Immune system disorders due to cancer
- Cancer of the lymph system
- Infection with the bacterium Campylobacter jejuni
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Chronic Hepatitis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
Treatment of CIDP
In India, the treatment for CDIP has an 80% success rate. Since CDIP is an autoimmune disorder, doctors use immune-suppressing medications. Generally, the treatment may include medication to help with inflammation and slow the immune system.
There are three standard treatments for CDIP:
- Corticosteroids (Prednisone, Prednisolone): It is used as initial treatment as an aid to the natural anti-inflammatory hormones of the body. Corticosteroids are quite affordable and are used to improve body strength. It is taken orally and has limited side effects.
- High-dose Intravenous Immune Globulins(IVIG): It is the only medicine for CDIP that has received the approval of the Canadian and European FDA. IVIG is an antibody which is injected into the body that aids in preventing damage to nerves. The doctors may recommend medications called immunomodulators that suppress the immune system. These drugs include azathioprine, cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and mycophenolate.
- Plasma Exchange(PE), or Plasmapheresis (PLEX): It involves removing blood from an individual and separating RB cells and other components such as antibodies from the plasma that contributes to CIDP. Then the plasma of the donor is added to the blood which is transfused into the individual. The healthcare provider may also prescribe drugs that can help the symptoms without modulating the immune system, such as carbamazepine, amitriptyline, pregabalin, and gabapentin.
CIDP Treatment cost in Hyderabad
The treatment cost for treatment of CIDP or Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy in Hyderabad differs from the treatment cost of AIDP or Guillain Barre Syndrome treatment charges in Hyderabad.
The approximate chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy treatment cost in Hyderabad is INR 88, 72,000/-/ The nursing and medication expenses for Guillain Barre Syndrome treatment in Hyderabad range from INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000. However, many physicians use steroids which lowers the treatment expenses of AIDP in Hyderabad.
Transverse Myelitis can be chronic or acute. It is a rare neurological disorder which causes inflammation on one or both sides of the spinal cord. It can be due to CIDP or other reasons, which decide the treatment expenses of Transverse Myelitis. The acute transverse myelitis treatment cost in Hyderabad may start from INR 50,000. However, if it is chronic, then the amount for treatment of Transverse Myelitis may rise to lakhs in Hyderabad.
- Is Guillain Barre Syndrome the same as CIDP?
No, but CIDP is closely linked to GBS. Both of them impact nerves and both share common symptoms such as weakness and numbness. However, GBS comes after a person suffers from an illness like a stomach bug, unlike CIDP. The latter is not linked to any illness. People recover fairly better from GBS once treated in contradiction for the recovery period of GBS. Sometimes, people with GBS may develop CIDP.
- Can you recover from CIDP?
One can recover entirely from CIDP, but some people live with the symptoms of nerve damage such as numbness and weakness for the rest of their lives.
- Will exercise help in CIDP?
Yes, physical exercise plays a vital role in the treatment of CIDP. It helps empower muscle strength, reduces muscle shrinkage and hence improves functioning and mobility.