Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disorder which mainly affects joints of the body. The two prevalent types of Arthritis are Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis. The fees for the treatment of arthritis depend on the treatment cost of osteoarthritis or the RA treatment or Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment cost in Hyderabad. Surgery, medications, and therapy are various factors which decide the expenses of RA treatment in Hyderabad.
Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Currently, there is no permanent cure for RA. However, clinical studies show that the combination of treatments can help in providing respite for the symptoms. The doctors can recommend disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) along with therapies.
NSAID(Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ): Relieves pain and helps in reducing inflammation. Side effects include heart problems, kidney damage, and stomach irritation.
Conventional DMARDs: Drugs like methotrexate, leflunomide, hydroxychloroquine and sulfasalazine etc. improve the health of joint tissues and prevent the damage of joints by decelerating the progression of rheumatoid arthritis.
Biologic Agents: The newer classes of DMARDs, also called biologic response modifiers, such as adalimumab, golimumab, sarilumab, etanercept, anakinra, tocilizumab etc. In general cases, they are combined with conventional DMARDs to make the recovery more efficient.
Targeted synthetic DMARDs: In circumstances where the conventional DMARDs and biological agents are not effective, then drugs like baricitinib, upadacitinib and tofacitinib. Further, the high doses of tofacitinib may multiply the risk of blood clots in the lungs, cancer and heart-related issues.
Steroids(Corticosteroid): Medications like Prednisone help in reducing inflammation and aids in slowing down joint damage. However, it may cause certain side effects, like thinning of bones, diabetes and weight gain.
When medications fail to prevent joint damage, then the healthcare provider may consider surgery to help with the problem. The surgery may help to restore the patient’s ability to use joints and may also reduce pain. RA surgery is divided into various categories due to the distinct procedures:
- Tendon Repair: Sometimes the inflammation and the joint damage leads to the rupture or loosening up of tendons around your joint. Thus the surgeon by operating strengthens the faulty tendons.
- Synovectomy: This surgery removes the inflamed lining of the joint, called synovium, and aids in reducing the pain as well as betters the flexibility of the joint.
- Total Joint Replacement: The surgeon removes the damaged parts of the joint and replaces it with a prosthesis made from metal and plastic.
- Joint Fusion: To stabilise or readjust the joint, the surgeons fuse a joint in case joint replacement is not possible.
In many cases, the doctors recommend exercises and physiotherapy to help the joints. The physical or occupational therapist may teach various exercises which the patient can do at home regularly. Along with home exercises, the therapy session may be done using assistive devices to avoid further stress on the weak joints.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment cost in Hyderabad
The expenses of RA treatment in Hyderabad may depend on the type of treatment one is prescribed to. The fee for osteoarthritis treatment in Hyderabad is cheaper than the rheumatology treatment cost in Hyderabad. For osteoarthritis treatment in Hyderabad, the cost can vary from INR 500 to INR 1500 per month, as it depends on physiotherapy and drugs.
In Hyderabad, the expenses of rheumatology treatment, also called rheumatoid arthritis treatment, may start from INR 1000 per month if it solely depends on simple therapies and DMARDs. However, in serious conditions, the surgery may lead to an acceleration in the treatment charges of rheumatoid arthritis in Hyderabad.
Similar to other parts of India, the surgery cost for the treatment of rheumatology in Hyderabad can be as high as INR 4,00,000.
- What are the causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis?
There are various causes for RA, although it is tough to point out one specific reason. It can happen, when the immune system attacks the synovium, the lining that encircles muscles, this leads to the thickening of the muscle. It can cause inflammation and eventually destroys the cartilage and bone within the joint. As a result, the joint loses its shape and alignment. Another reason can be a hereditary or certain fungal or viral infection.
- What are the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Some common symptoms include:
- Pain, swelling, tenderness and stiffness in the joints.
- Pain and stiffness in the same joints such as both knee joints having prolonged stiffness.
- Exhaustion and Weakness
- Frequent Fever
- What are the factors which can result in RA?
- Gender: Women and those who are born as females are more likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis.
- Smoking: People who are frequent smokers are at higher risk to get RA.
- Weight: Obesity is one of the major factors for having RA
- Family History: Rheumatoid Arthritis can pass down hereditary.