Radical Hysterectomy is a procedure in which the uterus is removed through surgery. It is the final solution to treat cancers affecting the female reproductive system. Cancer may affect ovaries, fallopian tubes or cervix, usually chemotherapy or radiation procedures are implemented, if they fail the final option would be a radical hysterectomy. Cervical cancer is becoming a silent killer as it is difficult to detect the same in initial stages and as it progress it causes havoc. To stem out the effects of cervical cancer or any malignancies, the oncologists in consultation with the gynecologists go in for radical hysterectomy procedures.
The first radical hysterectomy was performed in the year 1895 in the United States of America by Dr. Clarke at a renowned Medical facility center.
Why is hysterectomy required or suggested ?
The gynecologist thoroughly screens the patients by using various reports obtained from an ultrasound scan, blood reports and arrives at a decision. Hysterectomy is suggested if a woman’s situation becomes precarious or dangerous by its presence in the body. The woman may be suffering from :
- Malignant tumors in cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes
- Fibroids that may be dangerous or may show signs of tumors
- Benign tumors of large size that cause pain or swelling in the uterus
- Cancers present in the endometrial tract or region
- Thickening in the wall of uterus
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Cysts big in size
- Chronic pelvic pain that does not subside
To prevent such complications from progressing further, a radical hysterectomy may be the only option. As an English saying goes “A nick in time saves nine, removal of the uterus at the apt time saves many women from the untimely death of cervical cancer, or any uterus related complications. It should be noted that the second largest problem which kills a woman is cervical cancer, and radical hysterectomy is an apt procedure to stem out its effects at initial stages itself.
Types of Hysterectomy procedures followed worldwide :
The word hysterectomy means removal of the uterus. Depending upon the prognosis of the patient, the surgeons decide the kind of hysterectomy that has to be performed, whether if partial or total removal is a requisite or not.
- Supra-cervical or subtotal hysterectomy: The upper segment of the uterus is detached leaving the cervix in its place.
- Total Hysterectomy: In this procedure the uterus and the cervix or detached.
- Radical Hysterectomy: Radical hysterectomy is a branch of oncology. The entire uterus, tissues lining the uterus on all sides, the cervix, the upper vaginal lining is removed from the body to prevent malignancy.
- Oophorectomy: The removal of ovaries in the case of existing ovarian cancer or to prevent the onset of the same may be considered.
The Procedure of performing radical hysterectomy:
Radical hysterectomy is performed to combat the spread of cervical cancer. It ensures the patient is cancer-free, as chemotherapy or radiation may not do the similar good. It is an extensive and time-consuming procedure in comparison with abdominal hysterectomy.
Before the surgery :
The stability of the patient to undergo the surgery is evaluated through a series of diagnostic routine tests such as:
- Blood tests, blood grouping tests
- Complete urine examination
- Liver function tests
- Kidney function tests
- Ultra sound scans
- Chest x-rays
- Cardio-health related tests
- Psychiatrist examination
The patient is prepared for the surgery and is required to fast at least four to six hours before the surgery. Anesthesia is administered as per the general procedures in place.
The surgery lasts for about 3 to 4 hours. An incision of 5 to 6 inches is made for the excision or removal of the uterus along with parametrium consisting of uterosacral ligaments and the upper portion of the vagina. The surgeon has to be well versed the pelvic anatomy, meticulous attention with appropriate precision must be given, to prevent injuries to bladder and rectum, during the excision. With advancement in technology radical hysterectomy is performed using robotics. Robotic guided radical hysterectomy is a minimally invasive procedure, which is a safer option. Bilateral lymph node dissection may be performed to facilitate the excision.
The patient’s vitals are monitored during the procedure, after which the patient is wheeled into the recovery unit, the stay in the hospital would be a week or more depending upon the signs of recovery the person exhibits. The patient will be administered antibiotics to prevent the risk of infections. After surgery, the patient is encouraged to resume normal activities sans lifting weights or strenuous jobs. Sexual activity can be resumed six weeks after the surgery as the wounds would have healed. Estrogen supplementation is recommended if the ovaries are removed.
Risks associated :
Radical hysterectomy is time tested oncology procedure followed worldwide which has minimum risks associated if performed with utmost care. However, the patient in rare cases may experience:
- Infections that don’t heal with medications
- Injury to the remaining portion of vagina or bladder, if surgery is not performed by experienced doctors
- Loss of blood
- Swelling or inflammation in the surgical area
Such signs or symptoms must be reported immediately to avoid complications.
A radical hysterectomy may be performed along with radiation therapy or chemotherapy to combat cancer cells from becoming building blocks in the body. After radical hysterectomy, based on the pathology examination results, it is evaluated if further course of radiation or chemotherapy is a requisite or not.
Why KIMS ?
- Established hospital treating and curing cancer patients for over two decades with good success ratio.
- State of the art dedicated cancer research unit with path breaking technologies.
- Advanced robotic surgeries performed by renowned oncologists, first of its kind in Hyderabad and South India
- The outcomes of previously performed hysterectomies are positive and event-free
- Catering to patients all over the world through web-based interactions by a team of renowned doctors’ pre and post operation.
- A caregiving team that supports patients all through the stay in the hospital
- Understands the emotional trauma of facing the truth of having cancer, and extends its helping hand in providing emotional support to the patient and family members to fight the same.
- Extends logistic support to the patient and her family members.
- Stage by stage evaluation of the patient’s prognosis and recovery by the inter-disciplinary team of specialists.
- Expert counseling by psychiatrists, lifestyle counselors to recover from post-operative stress related disorders
- A well-equipped support system to help combat dreaded cancers which were previously not curable
- A networking hub facilitating interaction of resident doctors with specialists in other hospitals in India and abroad through video-conferencing and hotline to exchange views on treating the patient’s condition in the best and safest possible manner.
- We follow inclusive way of treating the patients by involving the patient and his family member in the entire process to achieve the best possible outcomes
- Budget friendly cutting edge technologies and expert team to win the battle against cancer.