WHAT IS BARIATRIC SURGERY?
Bariatric surgery includes a variety of procedures performed on people who have obesity. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach or by resecting and re-routing the small intestine to a small stomach pouch.
HOW TO GET PREPARED FOR THE SURGERY?
If someone is thinking of or has been prescribed for a bariatric surgery, an initial physical exam will ensure that the body is ready for the procedure. Not only physical wellbeing but emotional state is a vital criterion for the success for the surgery and the following weight-loss.
WHAT ARE THE TIPS TO GET PREPARED FOR THE SURGERY?
Like every surgery, bariatric surgery also has risks associated with it. Therefore, understanding the surgery beforehand itself helps recovery. Some tips to keep in mind are:
- Realistic Expectations: Most patients believe that after a bariatric surgery, they will wake up with a sculpted body. However, that is not the case. Most of the times, you may leave the hospital weighing more because of accumulated fluid. It takes six months to a year for you to reach the weight loss goal. Weight-loss is a journey and bariatric surgery just gives you a head start. Having a clear idea helps you stay on track and not quit on losing weight.
- Have Support: In case of bariatric surgery, it is pertinent to have support. Have your doctor as well as your family or friends help set long-term goals and help you stay on these goals. Bariatric surgery is a daunting idea and so small steps with support goes a long way in achieving the desired weight.
- Food Addiction: The main reason for putting on excessive weight, excluding medical reasons, is addiction to food. If you are diagnosed with addiction to food, then you’ll need to address that before surgery. Learning to manage food is imperative after surgery to maintain weight loss because:
- Your food intake will be sharply restricted, particularly for the first few months.
- You have to eat slowly. A small meal should take at least 20 minutes to consume.
- A healthy diet is imperative, as junk food will sabotage your ability to lose pounds.
- Treating Depression: In most cases, depression is one of the reasons people tend to over indulge in food. The surgery is only effective if the underlying cause of food indulgence is rectified. Work with your doctor or a counsellor to develop and maintain a positive attitude about the process.
- Risks of Other Addictions: Alcohol and tobacco addictions also can undermine efforts to lose weight — with or without surgery. Alcohol is high in calories and reduces your inhibitions, which makes you more susceptible to overeating. Tobacco use increases the risk of surgical complications, respiratory problems and ulcers.
At KIMS, one of the best bariatric surgery hospitals in Hyderabad, is renowned for surgical treatment for obesity, also called weight management surgery. We have one of the best bariatric surgeon in Hyderabad and people know KIMs as having one of the best weight loss specialist doctors in Hyderabad.
We provide all kind of weight-loss surgeries. We take care of obese patients at our obesity surgery centre. Help is also available for people who want to merely lose weight, as we are also a weight- loss hospital.