|10:00am - 04:00pm||10:00am - 04:00pm||10:00am - 04:00pm||10:00am - 04:00pm||10:00am - 04:00pm||10:00am - 04:00pm||Not Available|
I a currently working as a consultant hepatologist at Krishna institute of medical sciences, in Hyderabad, India, which is a 1000 bed tertiary referral unit. I am the clinical lead for hepatology services, including dedicated hepatology clinics, liver transplantation and hepatopancreatobiliary endoscopy including ERCP and EUS.
Postgraduate : CCT (Gastroenterology&GIM) Dec 2009
MRCP (UK) Dec 2003
MD (NIMS) Jan 2000
Graduation : MBBS 1996: KMC, APUHS, INDIA
Gastroenterology & Hepatology Training:
- Locum consultant, Gastro - Kettering general hospital - Jan 2012- Mar2012
- Advanced Endoscopy fellow (ERCP & EUS) - UHB NHS trust* - Dec 2010-Jan2012
- Post CCT fellow: Transplant hepatology- UHB NHS Trust* -Mar 2010-Dec2010
- Consultant Gastroenterology - City general hospital, Stoke on Trent - Sep 2009- Mar2009
- SPR Gastroenterology - City general hospital, Stoke on Trent - Dec 2008- Sep2009
- SPR Transplant hepatology - Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham - Dec 2007- Dec2008
- SPR Gastroenterology - Walsall manor hospital - Dec 2006- Dec2007
- SPR Gastroenterology - Selly oak hospital, Birmingham - Dec 2005- Dec2006
- SPR Gastroenterology - Sandwell general hospital - Dec 2004–Dec2005
- SPR Gastroenterology - Chelsea&Westminster hospital, London - Apr 2004– Nov2004
- SHO Hepatology - University College hospital, London - Feb 04 – April 04
- SHO Medical rotation- Colchester general hospital- Aug 2001-Feb2004
Experience in India
- SSHO CCU/ITU- Durgabai deshmukh hospital- Jan 00 – July 01
- SHO Medical rotation- Nizams institute of medical sciences- Jan 97 – Dec 99
- Pelvic Radiotherapy. Bowel side effects. Review article S. Putta, H. J. N. Andreyev. Clinical Oncology (2005) 17: 469–477.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound in the diagnostic evaluation of Hilar Strictures. Putta S, Croagh D, Boulton R, Forde C, Mahon B: Gut 2012;61:Suppl 2 A355.
- Long-term efficacy and safety of endotherapy for management of biliary anastamotic strictures following liver transplantation. S Putta, *, V Sagar, B Gunson, G Haydon, D Freshwater, A Holt, S Pathmakanthan, J Ferguson. Gut 2011;60:Suppl 1 A40
- Outcomes of orthotopic liver transplantation in patients with pre existing malignancy. Putta, Sharat K.; Nordin, Arno; Candinas, Daniel; Gunson, Bridget; Mirza, Darius; Neuberger, James. Gastroenterology vol. 136 issue 5 May, 2009. p. A-813
- A risk stratification model for managing patients with severe paracetamol induced acute liver injury; Leithead JA, Putta SK, Neuberger J, Simpson KJ. Journal of Hepatology Vol. 50Supplement 1, Page S179
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy (ESP) and large balloon dilatation (LBD) for management of complex CBD stones. S Putta, A.P. Holt,G.H. Haydon, S Pathmakanthan: GUT supplement March 2009.
- I have authored the chapter “Therapeutic Paracentensis” in the “BMJ books: ABC of therapeutic procedures” book. Edition 1: 2009.
International Oral Presentations
- Endoscopic Ultrasound in the diagnostic evaluation of Hilar Strictures. Putta S, Croagh D, Boulton R, Forde C, Mahon B: UK EUS conference Nov 2011.
- Evaluation of double duct dilatation in the absence of a mass on cross sectional imaging. Putta S, Croagh D, Forde C, Mahon B. UK EUS conference Nov 2011.
- Long term efficacy & safety of endotherapy in the management of biliary anastamotic strictures: S Putta, G Haydon, A holt. British Society of gastroenterology (BSG) conference March 2011.
Interferon alpha induced thyroid dysfunction; Putta S, Dudley T, O’Donnell K, Mutimer D. Midlands Gastroenterology Society meeting Leicester; UK June 2008.
A district general hospital experience with the use of capsule endoscopy. Dr S Putta, Dr A Hughes. Midlands Gastroenterology Society meeting, Coventry, UK – June 2007
International Posters Presentations
- Outcomes of orthotopic liver transplantation in patients with pre existing malignancy. S putta, N Arno, J Neuberger. Awarded ‘POSTER OF DISTINCTION’ prize; DDW (AGA) May 2009, Chicago USA..
- A risk stratification model for managing patients with severe paracetamol induced acute liver injury; Leithead JA, Putta SK, Neuberger J, Simpson KJ. EASL April 2009.
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy (ESP) and large balloon dilatation (LBD) for management of complex CBD stones. S Putta, A.P. Holt,G.H. Haydon, S Pathmakanthan: Poster in BSG conference March 2009.
- Factors Predicting Long Term Acid Suppression or Anti Reflux Surgery for GORD Symptoms: A 10-Year Follow Up Study of therapy naïve cohort. S Putta, R Lo, N Trudgill. POSTER at UEGW Oct 2008.
- Are GP referral letters helpful in arriving at a diagnosis and deciding on the urgency of the consultation. T Walton, S Putta: Poster at EULAR (European league against rheumatism) - 2003
- Peutz Jeghers polyposis, Brief series; S Putta, A Hughes: Poster in the MGS meeting in Nov 2007.
- Clinical spectrum of Intestinal Spirochaetosis; D Jothimani, S Putta. Poster & at MGS meeting June 2007.
- Awarded the Prize for the best oral presentation for my work “Endoscopic Ultrasound in the diagnostic evaluation of Hilar Strictures” in the UK EUS conference held in November 2011 in Birmingham UK.
- My abstract titled Impact of EUS on the management of liver hilar lesions’ was accepted as a ‘Poster of distinction’ at the British society of gastroenterology/ Digestive diseases federation’ annual conference in June 2012.
- Awarded ‘Poster of distinction’ at the American gastroenterology association/ digestive diseases week conference in Chicago May 2009, for my poster titled “Outcomes of Liver transplantation in patients with pre existing malignancy”.
- I won the academic prizes for securing the highest marks in biochemistry, microbiology, pathology, and ENT during my graduation in medicine.
- Nominated for ‘Golden heart award’ at Walsall Manor hospital, United Kingdom, for undertaking responsibilities over and above my designated job plan.
Superspecialty and Subspecialty Training
I completed my super specialty training in gastroenterology and hepatology in the United Kingdom. During and after completion of specialist training in gastroenterology I pursued my special interest in transplant hepatology and hepatobiliary endoscopy (Endoscopic ultrasound and ERCP) at the University hospital Birmingham, United Kingdom. I trained for a cumulative period of nearly 3 years in transplant hepatology and hepatobiliary endoscopy, in addition to 5 years of gastroenterology training.
- I was the clinical audit lead for the West Midlands Biliary drainage audit at the university hospital North Staffordshire, UK. Sept 2009- Dec 2009.
- Outcomes of patients removed from Liver Transplant list due to improving condition: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, UK 2008.
- PEG Interferon alpha therapy for hepatitis C; Are we monitoring the thyroid function in accordance with the protocol. Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2008, UK.
- UK Comparative Audit of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding and the Use of Blood: 2007 Audit lead for walsall manor hospital.
- Factors Predicting Long Term Acid Suppression or Anti Reflux Surgery for GORD Symptoms: A 10-Year Follow Up Study - 2005
- Coeliac disease – “A district general hospital experience” - 2003.
- Rheumatology referrals – Are GP referral letters helpful in arriving at a diagnosis and deciding on the urgency of the consultation. 2003.
- Standard of clerking and note keeping in A&E. 2002.
- ECG interpretation in A&E. 2001
Dissertation / Thesis
During my MD programme in INDIA between 1997 -1999 I completed a thesis on “Opportunistic infections in AIDS” (Roughly 6000 words). Around this time the epidemiology, clinical manifestations and the natural history of AIDS in INDIA was poorly understood. I presented this in the Association of physicians of INDIA meeting Andhra Pradesh chapter in 1999.
I recently conducted a national ENDOSCOPIC ULTRASOUND live course in Hyderabad India on 27th July 2014. In addition I have been invited as faculty on the EUS Asia pacific task force meeting on August 16th and 17tH 2014.
- ‘Birmingham EUS/ ERCP Live’ international conference, UK Nov 2011
- Amsterdam Live EUS course, Amsterdam, Holland June 2011
- St Marks Deep Enteroscopy Masterclass, London Nov 2010
- Faculty observer on Basic skills ERCP course, UHNS NHS Trust, Feb 2010.
- Basic skills course in ERCP, Stoke on Trent, UK May 2006
- Basic skills in therapeutic endoscopy, St Marks, London May 2005
- Basic skills in Colonoscopy, New cross hosp, Wolverhampton, UK July 2005
- Foundation course in upper GI endoscopy – EYSE, HULL, UK Feb 2004
CME / CONFERENCES
- Kings college liver course, London - April 2012
- BSG conferences:- March 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011
- DDW (AGA) Conference. Chicago. USA- Jun 2009
- Hammersmith acute medicine course- 26 & 27 Sept 2009
- UEGW; Vienna, Austria.- Oct 2008
- UCL hepatology course- Sept 2005 & Sept 2008
- MGS conference;- May 2007, Jun 2008
- “Understanding statistics”. Birmingham- Oct 2005
I have gained management experience principally through participation in service redevelopment/ improvement meetings of gastroenterology and acute medicine departments through my training. I was the junior doctors representative in 2007 at the Walsall Manor hospital in the MMC/ OOH practice committee when significant changes were being made to the way out of hours acute care was delivered including introduction of nurse practitioners and withdrawing house officers from the rota. I gained insight into the financial and administrative aspects of service delivery through regular participation in the ERCP service development meetings at the QEH. Management courses attended
- Management & Leadership Awareness Training – Stepping up to your Leadership Role: University of warwick. Two stage 5 day course in October 2008.
- SPR management and multiskills course (Jan 2010): London: UK.
1. Dr Andrew Dixon
Kettering general hospital
2. Dr Alison Brind
University hospital north Staffordshire NHS trust
Stoke on Trent
3. Dr David Mutimer
Queen Elizabeth hospital, University hospitals Birmingham NHS trust
Mindelsohn way, Birmingham, B15 2WB: Tel 01213712000
4. Dr Ashish Awasthi
Walsall Manor hospital