What is Multiple Sclerosis?
Multiple sclerosis (MS), also known as disseminated sclerosis, is a chronic inflammatory disease of the central nervous system (CNS). MS affects approximately 2.5 million people worldwide. Although there is no cure for MS, treatment options such as medications and physical rehabilitation may improve patients' ability to function and reduce their disability.
In brief, MS is a disorder of the brain and spinal cord characterized by demyelination, inflammation, and neurodegeneration. Demyelination occurs when myelin sheaths around nerve axons become damaged. Inflammation causes damage to nerves and surrounding tissues. Neurodegeneration refers to the loss of nerve cells and their connections. As a result of these changes, the body loses control over muscles, sensation, balance, coordination, vision, bladder control, bowel control, sexual function, and temperature regulation. In all such situations, it becomes crucial for you to consult the Best Multiple Sclerosis Hospital in Kondapur.
Signs and Symptoms
Signs and symptoms vary depending on the severity of the condition. Some people with MS experience only one symptom while others develop many. If you observe any such symptoms, connect with the Top Neurology Hospital in Kondapur immediately. Most people who have MS experience some combination of the following-
1. Fatigue - Fatigue is a common early symptom of MS. People with MS often feel tired all day long, even after sleeping. They may need to take naps during the day. Fatigue can interfere with daily activities and work performance.
2. Muscle Weakness - Muscle weakness is another common early symptom of MS and usually appears in one leg before spreading to the rest of the body.
3. Numbness - Numbness is a tingling feeling that begins in the hands and feet and spreads throughout the arms and legs. It is sometimes described as pins and needles or burning sensations. These feelings can affect movement and coordination and cause pain.
4. Tingling - Tingling is a prickly, uncomfortable feeling that starts in the hands and feet. It feels similar to having ants crawling under the skin. Tingles tend to get worse over time.
5. Visual Problems - Vision problems occur when the optic nerve becomes inflamed and swollen. Common symptoms include blurred vision, double vision, and eye pain.
6. Speech Difficulties - Speech problems can range from mild slurring of words to severe inability to speak. Difficulty speaking has been reported as the second most common symptom experienced by people with MS.
7. Dizziness - Dizziness is a lightheaded feeling caused by low blood pressure. People with MS may experience dizziness frequently.
8. Headaches - Headaches are very common among people with MS. Many types of headaches exist but those associated with migraines are the most frequent. Migraine headaches are often accompanied by nausea, vomiting, neck stiffness, sensitivity to light and sound, and sensitivity to smells.
9. Depression - Depression is a mood disorder that includes sadness, hopelessness, anxiety, irritability, and lack of interest in usual activities. People with MS may report feeling sad or depressed.
10. Cognitive Impairment - Cognitive impairments refer to problems with memory, thinking, learning, attention, language, problem-solving, and judgment. People with MS may notice trouble remembering things or concentrating.
11. Difficulty Walking - Difficulty walking is a common symptom of MS. People who have MS may walk slowly or stumble when trying to walk longer distances.
12. Bladder Control - Bladder control problems can lead to urinary tract infections. Urinary tract infections can be painful and difficult to treat.
13. Bowel Control - Bowel control problems can lead to constipation or diarrhea. Constipation can lead to hemorrhoids, anal fissures, and rectal prolapse. Diarrhea can lead to dehydration.
Additional symptoms which you may experience include tremors, paralysis, incontinence, and spasticity.
Multiple Sclerosis Centre
The Multiple Sclerosis Centre at Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences helps to provide an accurate diagnosis and a customized treatment plan for patients suffering from multiple sclerosis. Since the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis can be a daunting task because individuals experience unusual symptoms, we make sure to perform a wide array of diagnostic procedures that can confirm this disorder. No doubt why we are touted as the Best Multiple Sclerosis Hospital in Kondapur.
1. Is sexual dysfunction a symptom of Multiple sclerosis?
Sexual dysfunction is a symptom of MS which can range from minor issues such as erectile dysfunction to major ones such as infertility. Erectile dysfunction is a common problem for men with MS. Other sexual problems include vaginal dryness, decreased libido, and pain during sex. Kondapur's Best Brain & Spine Care Hospital may help to reduce the severity of this symptom.
2. How can temperature regulation symptoms affect you if you have MS?
Temperature regulation problems can lead to heat stroke, hypothermia, and hyperthermia. Heat stroke is a serious medical emergency, requiring immediate medical care. Hypothermia occurs when the body produces too little heat. Hyperthermia occurs when the body overheats. Both conditions require hospitalization.
3. How is MS diagnosed?
A diagnosis of MS is typically made through a series of tests and examinations. Diagnostic tests include magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans, electroencephalography (EEG), cerebrospinal fluid analysis, genetic screening, and neurological examination. A doctor will perform a complete history and physical exam. The patient will then undergo diagnostic tests to confirm the diagnosis. MRI scans provide detailed pictures of the inside of the brain and spinal column. EEG measures electrical activity in the brain. The cerebrospinal fluid analysis examines the composition of the cerebrospinal fluids. Genetic screening looks at whether someone has inherited genes linked to MS. Neurological examination focuses on motor skills, sensory abilities, reflexes, coordination, and gait.
4. Why is the KIMS Hospitals known as the Top Neurology Hospital in Kondapur?
With cutting-edge clinical trials and top-notch laboratory, we at KIMS Hospitals focuses on all the aspects of multiple sclerosis disease, be it the diagnosis or providing lifelong quality clinical care to our patients at affordable rates. No wonder why we are the Best Multiple Sclerosis Hospital in Kondapur.