Polyarthritis is a condition where more than one joint is affected by arthritis and is also a result of autoimmune disorder. A definitive diagnosis cannot be achieved initially as it mimics symptoms related to different kinds of arthritis. This disease initially attacks the hands and the feet and then moves to larger joints slowly. There are other conditions of arthritis too that lead to polyarthritis which is although less common. They include :
- Palindromic: Here the pain is recurrent, experience stiffness in one or more joints
- Polymyalgia: The older patients face this. They may experience stiffness in shoulders or hips
- Systemic: Fever, weight loss
- Persistent mono-arthritis: Remains in one large joint
These conditions mimic the symptoms of other bone disorders and hence is confusing at times in bringing out a right diagnosis. The bone treatment services in KIMS Hospitals, Hyderabad, draws out an accurate diagnosis, from a series of tests conducted which includes a physical examination, his medical history, lab tests and other scans to be surer of the polyarthritis condition.
There are certain conditions that imitate the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis but are typically related or which would later lead to polyarthritis. Let’s take a look at them. They include:
- Post Viral Arthritis: This is a resultant of parvovirus B19. It is an acute viral infection with symptoms such as rash that lasts for specific duration of time. This too looks like rheumatoid arthritis. The physician while analyzing his diagnosis should exclude hepatitis or HIV infections if the treatment includes immune-suppressants.
- Seronegative Spondyloarthritis: KIMS Hospitals' Pain management specialists in Hyderabad opine that if the joints such as Sacroiliac Joints or the distal interphalangeal Joints are involved then the diagnosis would be easy as it indicates that it is psoriatic arthritis. The other conditions Seronegative Spondyloarthritis also include inflammatory Bowel Disease, ankylosing spondylitis and reactive arthritis too mimics the same symptoms.
- Lupus: Systemic Lupus Erythematous is due to tendon and ligament laxity with lupus. Deformities again resemble a lot like rheumatoid Arthritis. It is an erosive disease.
- Scleroderma: A complete blood count, serologic tests, Creatine Kinase Measurements, erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reative Protein helps in the diagnosis of this disease says the best rheumatologist in Hyderabad
- Vasculitis: Headache with shoulder and hip pain are the symptoms related to Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) and Giant Cell Arthritis (GCA). Systemic Vasculitis is a condtion that is caused from polyarthritis and can have serious complications.
- Osteoarthritis: Older people are more prone to get osteoarthritis. It involves the joints. Since this is very significant diagnosis is not difficult.
- Gout: Chronic gouts can cause erosions and joint destructions. The narrowing of the joints in the joints is a clear indication of gout.
- Pseudogout: It shares symptoms similar to gout, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis. However, the attacks of synovitis help differentiate the above conditions. A synovial fluid analysis can give a clear picture of pseudogout.
- Sjogren’s syndrome: It is an autoimmune, inflammatory disease. It shares the same symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Only the related tests can diagnose the syndrome.
- Sarcoidosis: A tissue biopsy will give a clear diagnosis. Symptoms are similar to rheumatoid arthritis.
- Fibromyalgia: It rules out the condition of Synovitis. There is no pain on movement. Lab tests and Imaging tests gives a final and accurate diagnosis.
KIMS Hospitals is the best orthopaedic centre in Hyderabad as they can make a clear diagnosis of polyarthritis despite the symptoms being so confusing. KIMS Hospitals is the best place for the treatment for Arthritis in Hyderabad as they have an experienced medical team who give a clear cut analysis without wasting your time and therefore the healing process and recovering from the condition is faster.