The department of neurology at KIMS consists of a team of highly competent neurologists available round the clock, equipped with state-of-the art technology and equipment providing world class patient care with a human touch. The department of neurology is centre of excellence and is a tertiary care referral centre with patients not only coming from all over the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh , rest of India and also out of the country. The department actively pursues clinical care and research activities in the various sub-specialities.
Patient care has been the highest priority of the Department of Neurology at KIMS Hospitals since its founding in 2004. The department has fostered the development of a wide range of subspecialty services provided by expert clinicians; these include Stroke, Epilepsy and Epilepsy Surgery, movement disorders Alzheimer's disease, ataxia, head ache , multiple sclerosis, neurobehavioral and neuromuscular disorders, stroke, pain management. The department has a state of art neurocritical care unit catering to the management of aute Neurological care and emergencies. We have interdisciplinary programs across all major subspecialties through collaborations with colleagues in the Departments of Neurosurgery, Psychiatry, Radiology/Neuroradiology.
KIMS Hospital Secunderabad and Kondapur provide the best neurological care in the treatment of complex neurological disorders like Central nervous system disorders, Parkinson, and any neurological related problems. They provide the best treatment for neurology problems in Hyderabad with their best and advanced neurosurgery techniques.
Department of Neurology, KIMS Hospitals has state of art equipment and technology that includes:
Electrophysiology labs :
- EEG labs: We offer comprehensive neuro-electrophysiology work up and The department has three state of art longterm Telemetry Video EEG Units, two Bedside continuous EEG monitoring units, two digital OPD EEG machines. The unique combination of experienced Neurologists with qualified technicians makes the electrophysiology lab one of a kind.
- The EMG lab: It is equipped with facilities for Nerve conduction studies, EMG, Evoked potentials and Autonomic function Testing.
- Intraoprative Electrocorticography, cortical stimulation, neuronavigation are routinely done during epilepsy surgery.
- TCD- Trans Cranial doppler for evaluation of patients with Stroke and other vascular disorders.
- Research is a critical element in the fight against neurological disease; it paves the way for the development and implementation of new therapies and provides opportunities to expand our academic mission. Our Neurologists pioneer new surgical therapies for epilepsy, parkinson's disease and dystonia and the application of deep brain stimulation for movement disorders. Our multidisciplinary studies on outcome of patients with epilepsy and epilepsy surgery and in diseases requiring admission into neuro-critical care unit have been published in reputed indexed journals from around the globe.
Faculty of the department of Neurology :
The department has 4 full time faculty members.
Dr. S Mohandas is the Chief Neurologist and also the head of the Department. He has over 35 years of Experience as neurologist and was a retired professor of neurology and Dean at the Nizams Institute of Medical Sciences till 2003, before joining at KIMS. Dr.Mohandas is an astute clinician and has great passion for teaching and mentored many students. He always had keen interest in Neuro-immunology especially Multiple Sclerosis and is on advisory board of national and international MS organizations. Member of many national and international Societies: IAN, NSI, AAN, IES,IEA, APNSA. He received many felicitations and life time achievement awards for his immense contribution to neurology.
Dr.Sita Jayalakshmi is at present working as Senior Consultant Neurologist at KIMS, Hyderabad, India. She worked as additional professor of Neurology at Nizam's Institute of Medical Sciences and has 15 years of clinical and teaching experience as a neurologist. Dr.Sita has special interest in epilepsy and co-ordinates a comprehensive epilepsy surgery care programme at KIMS & their group has performed more than 750 epilepsy surgeries. Received the ASEPA-ASNA EEG Certification and Certified as Outstanding student in the " Neuroimaging Course in Epilepsy" by the VIREPA, the site for distance education of the ILAE. Received the Awarded the ‘’ Eenadu’’ gold medal for best outgoing student in Neurology 1994-96. She was Awarded the Japanes Society of Child Neurology (JSCN) award for excellent paper at the 14th Annual meeting of Infantile Seizure Society (2012) at Tokyo, Japan. Dr.Sita Has more than 80 publications in national and international journals, contributed chapters to textbooks in Neurosciences and received best paper awards in international and national meetings. She is a Member of several national and international organizations including American Academy of Neurology, Indian Epilepsy Association, Indian Epilepsy Society, Indian Academy of Neurology, Neurological Society of India. She is also the PhD guide for students pursuing the post doctoral course in neurology by NTR university of Health Sciences. She is on the editorial board of International journal of Epilepsy and a reviewer for Indexed journals in Epilepsy.
Dr.Varalakshmi EA is a senior consultant neurologist. She has completed her DM neurology from Nizams Institute of Medical Sciences and working in KIMS from 2004. She has more than 10 years of Clinical and Teaching experience and has special interest in neuro- Rehabilitation.
Dr.Praveen Kumar Yada is working as Consultant neurologist since 2013. He has completed his DM neurology from Nizams Institute of Medical Sciences. He is interested in movement disorders and stroke. He is actively involved in the botox therapy, management of patients with Parkinson's Disease and the Deep brain Stimulation Therapy.
The Department of Neurology is devoted to DNB education. Daily, weekly, and monthly recurring educational conferences are abundant and provide residents the opportunity to participate in interactive learning sessions. The department regularly organizes Continuing Medical Education programmes in various sub-specialities of Neurology for physicians, Neurologists and Paediatricians.