Prostate forms a part of the male reproductive system. It is Exocrine gland which is present in front of the rectum and behind the bladder. Abnormal growth in the gland cells is termed as prostate cancer. Men in their fifties and above should periodically get screened for the same to prevent the same.
The following symptoms must be reported to the doctor:
- Trouble passing Urine
- Change in urine output
- Dizziness or giddiness
- Redness in the prostrate area
- Change in the size and shape of the gland
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Persistent pain in the abdomen or hip areas
- Blood while passing urine
Prostate cancer is difficult to diagnose in the initial stages, however, the following tests help detect the same.
- Physical Examination by the Doctors: The doctor may physically examine the area and check if any lumps are felt, enquire of any difficulties and may further suggest some more tests as per the requirement.
- Digital Rectal Examination: The doctor firstly wears gloves to his hands which are pre-lubricated and he inserts his finger into the rectum to examine for any lumps.
- Trans Rectal ultrasound: A probe attached to the ultrasound machine is inserted into the rectum and the sound waves are monitored to check for cancer.
- Prostate-specific Antigen Test: The level of PSA indicates the presence of cancer in the gland, higher the level, the risk of cancer is high.
- MRI: A probe connected to the magnetic resonance imaging machine is inserted into the rectum and it beams out images of the prostate gland its present shape , size and detects the presence of cancer cells and the extent of its malignancy.
- Biopsy: Few cells are removed from the prostate gland are removed and examined thoroughly under a microscope to determine the presence of cancer.
Firstly one must note that cancer is curable. The prognosis of the patient is important to arrive at the treatment options, his age, and other ailments if any, present state of his health determines the treatment options. The extent of malignancy has to be thoroughly monitored. If the cancer is in its initial stages it can be cured by medications. Any advance in the stages of malignancy may require treatment such surgery or radiation treatment which may require 2 to 3 days to stay in the hospital.
At KIMS we a have dedicated oncology department, that is with you against your fight against Cancer. Cancer is no longer a dreaded disease, thanks to ourKIMS Cancer Center. We are one of best Cancer hospitals in India and South Asia specializing in Robotic surgeries and radiation therapies to root out cancers. We specialize in
- Robotic Radical Prostatectomy
- Laproscopic Radical Prostractomy
- Traditional open Prostracetomy
At KIMS, We are family….. We make the patient aware of the present state, empower him and set before him or her the options available and do the best to weed out cancer from the system. Each patient is unique and a customized treatment based on his requirement is administered, be it the removal of the prostate gland, or medication or radiation therapy, we ensure quickly and the best possible results by giving the safest possible treatment that works. Our treatment options are budget friendly and many patients have benefited from the same. We have doctors who serve with a heart, they understand the importance of life, they just don’t treat, and they weed out the parasites and nurture a life.
We have a screening center, which screens patients in the risk group to help detect cancers at initial stages, thereby avoiding further complications.