The heart is an integral part of the human body. It’s divided into upper chambers and lower chambers.The upper chambers are Atrias and the lower chambers are the ventricles. It consists of four valves- tricuspid valve, the pulmonary, the mitral valve and the aortic valve. The disorder is caused when the valves don’t allow the blood flow or cause leakage.
The symptoms of the heart valve disorders go unnoticed while for some it may lead to heart attacks, strokes and blood clots. They are :
- Mitral Valve Prolapse: The symptoms are rare. The valve fails to close properly leading to reverse blood flow to the left Atrium. The treatment option is to conduct a surgery either to fix it or replace it.
- Bicuspid Aortic Valve Disease : The child born with the two flaps instead of three in the Aortic Valve does not predominantly notice any symptoms until adulthood between the 30’s and ’40s. The treatment option is to repair or replace the valve with surgery.
- Valvular Stenosis: When the heart valve thickens or stiffens, it restricts the blood flow. The symptoms are shortness in breath and dizziness. Valvuloplasty is the procedure adopted here wherein a balloon is used to inflate the valve. This method is adopted based on the severity of the disease and the patient’s age.
- Valvular Regurgitation: This is caused due to leaky valves. The blood flows backward because of the non-closure of the valves now and then. Swelling of feet, palpitations are some of the symptoms. Close monitoring of the patients is required to avoid clogging of fluids followed with medication or valve replacement can be effective too.
Heart plays an important role in the human body. When it fails to function it affects the blood flow and causes heart valve disorders. Let’s take a look at the general symptoms that one must be observant about.
- Pulmonary edema with the fluids getting collected in the lungs.
- Heart palpitations
- Swelling in the abdomen.
What causes heart valve disorders is something that one must be aware of. They are :
- High blood pressure
- Heart attack
- A birth defect
- Inflammation in the heart tissue
- Coronary heart disease which is the resultant of the hardening and narrowing of the arteries
- Cardiomyopathy due to degenerative changes the heart muscle
- Syphilis a rare sexually transmitted infection
- Aortic aneurysm, a swelling or bulging of the aorta
- Lupus, a chronic autoimmune disorder.
- Myxomatous degeneration, a weakening of connective tissue in the mitral valve
- Rheumatic fever caused by Group A streptococcus bacteria
- Calcium deposits in the heart
The concerns and issues are taken care of by the best heart valve surgery doctors at K.I.M.S.Here the patient is devoid of doubts and gets clarity of the disease and also of the treatment options which is why the patients trust K.I.M.S for heart valve replacement treatments over other hospitals in Hyderabad.