What is Epiphysiodesis?
Also referred to as growth plate fusion, Epiphysiodesis is a minimally invasive surgical procedure used to treat any variations in your limb lengths. Before knowing more about this surgery, let us know the anatomy of the knee joint.
The knee joint has growth plates around it that help to increase the length of the legs during the growth and development phase of the child. However, due to certain conditions, sometimes one leg might grow longer as compared to the other one or the knees may deviate at an angle. This could happen due to neuromuscular problems in the child, certain tumours of the bone, fractures or other bone diseases.
In all such situations, you can know about the Epiphysiodesis procedure in hyderabad which aims at restricting the growth in the longer leg so that the smaller leg can match its length with age. Generally, the surgery may be performed in children between their mid to late adolescent years because the child is still growing at this age.
Symptoms of limb length deviations
There are different symptoms of limb length deviations observing which you should connect with your healthcare provider and know all about bone growth stimulator surgery in hyderabad. These symptoms could include discomfort in your knee, back and hip, abnormal postures or tilted shoulder, limping and other walking issues, and when one leg is longer than the other. Moreover, certain other issues, namely bowed legs may even be observed in the children. Sometimes this surgery can even be performed on boys, who may be expected to grow to an excessive height.
What happens during the epiphysiodesis procedure?
Before the epiphysiodesis procedure, you will be given general anaesthesia so that you are in a deep sleep during the entire process and do not feel any pain in your leg. Then the leg which needs to be operated on will be covered from your foot to the groin region. Generally, there are different types of approaches that are used to perform the epiphysiodesis procedure like the eight plate method, stapling method or permanent epiphysiodesis technique. Let’s have a glance at the details of these techniques.
- Eight plate method
The eight plate method is the most common type of approach used for bone growth stimulator surgery in hyderabad. Under this method, your surgeon will aim at making small incisions on your side of the knee. These incisions could be anywhere between two to three centimetres in length. Once the incisions are made, a metal plate is inserted through them and placed over your growth plate with the help of screws.
Now the metal plate is placed based on the purpose for which the surgery is performed. In case the surgery is performed to correct angular variations in your knee, then the metal plate will be inserted on just one side of your growth plate. This is simply because by placing the metal plate on one side of the growth plate, the bone development from one region of your knee will be stopped.
However, if the purpose of the surgery is to stop the deviation in the limb length, then the plate will be inserted on both sides. The major advantage of this method is that it is a reversible surgery because once the deformity is corrected, the plates can be removed.
- Stapling method
Stapling method is also a reversible method under which three staples are fixed on any of the two sides of your growth plate to stop its growth accordingly.
- Permanent epiphysiodesis technique (PETS)
Under this technique, the surgeon will insert screws in your growth plate to inhibit its growth. These screws may either be inserted in a parallel form or a crossed form. Your surgeon can create incisions of around 1 centimetre around the knee to insert the screws. Once incisions are created, he will drill holes into your growth plate and insert the screws accordingly.
After each procedure, the incisions are closed using absorbable stitches.
- What are the potential risks and complications of Epiphysiodesis Surgery? The potential risks and complications of this surgery could include infection, loss or change in the sensation near the operated area, over correction or incomplete correction of the leg deformity, scars around the incision area, and risks to general anaesthesia like allergy confusion, etc.
- When should I follow-up with my doctor after Epiphysiodesis Surgery? Generally, you may have to schedule a follow-up visit with your surgeon after around two weeks after the surgery. Moreover, after this follow-up visit, there could be a subsequent appointment at an interval of three to six months so that your surgeon can monitor the growth of your leg.
- What is the average Epiphysiodesis Surgery Cost in hyderabad? The average Epiphysiodesis Surgery Cost in hyderabad depends on different factors like the particular approach used by your doctors, the qualifications and proficiency of the doctors, the location of the hospital you are admitted to, your duration of stay and recovery, the consultation fees of the doctor and the type of equipment and facilities available at the hospital.
- Why should I know about the Epiphysiodesis Surgery Cost in hyderabad from the KIMS Hospitals? The KIMS Hospitals is the right place to know all about the Epiphysiodesis procedure in hyderabad because the experienced experts for hip and knee conditions here are board-certified. Moreover, they are adept at using the latest state-of-the-art technology to provide the best treatment to their patients under a budget.