What is osteotomy?Osteotomy is a surgery that aims at cutting and reshaping your bones. So, this surgery may be performed when there is damage to a joint. It can even be performed to shorten or lengthen a deformed bone that does not align with your joint as it should. Generally, healthy and young people can also have this surgery if they wish to postpone their knee or hip replacement for many years. Before the surgery, you should have an insight into the Osteotomy cost in Hyderabad so that you can assess your budget and choose the required hospital.
Types of osteotomy procedures
Since Osteotomy can help to fix problems in different areas of your bones and joints, there may be different types of osteotomy procedures based on the location. Let’s have a look at these osteotomy procedures.
- Spine. The osteotomy procedure may be performed for the spine when your healthcare provider aims at removing a piece of bone to correct a swayback. This osteotomy procedure will determine your Spine osteotomy surgery in Hyderabad.
- Hip. An osteotomy procedure may even be used by your doctor to reshape your hip sockets so that they can better cover the ball of your hip joint.
- Jaw. You may require a mandibular osteotomy or a lower jaw Osteotomy that can help move your lower jaw into a new position.
- Chin. A chin osteotomy can help to narrow the broad or square chin.
- Knee. During a knee osteotomy, your health care provider may aim at cutting and reshaping either your femur or your Tibia. Reshaping the joint can help to remove the pressure from the damaged side of your knee joint. The knee osteotomy will affect your Knee osteotomy surgery price in Hyderabad.
Thus these are different types of osteotomy procedures that may be performed to help improve the shape of the different areas of your body.
What happens during osteotomy?
Osteotomy is a complex surgery that may either take place at a hospital or a medical Center. Before the osteotomy procedure, your healthcare provider will discuss the different anaesthesia options with you. Generally, people may prefer general anaesthesia that can help them to be asleep during this surgery. However, if osteotomy is performed in the lower half of your body, then you may even prefer local anaesthesia that can help you to be awake during the surgery, but feel numb below the waist. Moreover, if you are undergoing osteotomy for minor procedures like your toes, then you may get local anaesthesia.
Once the osteotomy begins, your healthcare provider will make a small incision in your skin. He will measure your bone with special guide wires and even take out a section using the special surgical saw. Once a section is taken out, your healthcare provider will find different ways to fill the newly open space. Additionally, metal plates and tiny screws might even be used to hold your bones in place. Once your bones heal, these screws and a metal plate may be taken out. However, at times they can even be permanent.
Another method of performing the osteotomy procedure is to take a bone graft to fill in this space. Under this method, your healthcare provider may take a wedge of a bone either from a bone bank or from your own pelvis. This bone may be held together in place using metal hardwares. All the different procedures performed in the osteotomy procedure will affect your Periacetabular osteotomy surgery in Hyderabad.
- What are the potential risks and complications of osteotomy?
Just like any other surgery, there are certain potential complications and risks associated with osteotomy. Generally, some issues that you may face after the osteotomy procedure include scar tissue, artery damage, issues with anaesthesia, bones that do not heal as expected, infection, nerve damage, chronic pain, and joint stiffness.
- Is Osteotomy a major surgery?
Yes, Osteotomy is a major surgery because the recovery from this surgery can take several months. Once you are released from the hospital after osteotomy, you will have to undergo therapy and rehabilitation that can help you restart your normal errands. Moreover, full recovery can take anywhere from three to six months for knee osteotomy.
- What is the average Osteotomy surgery in Hyderabad?
The average Osteotomy cost in Hyderabad depends on the particular type of procedure and the part of the body where it is performed. Generally, the Knee osteotomy surgery price in Hyderabad may start from ₹75,000.
- Which is the best hospital for osteotomy?
If you are looking out to know about the best hospital for osteotomy treatment, then your search ends with KIMS hospitals. The best team of orthopaedic doctors at this hospital are adept in using surgical as well as non-surgical techniques to treat the different diseases of the bone. You can substantiate their credibility from the umpteen positive testimonials as well as their wide experience in the field.